Father’s Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society. The Americas have adopted the U.S. date, which is the third Sunday of June (falling June 17 in 2018). It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in the months of March, April and June. Father’s Day was not celebrated in the US, outside Catholic traditions, until the 20th century. As a civic celebration in the US, it was inaugurated in the early 20th century to complement Mother’s Day by celebrating fathers and male parenting.
If you’ll be in the Straits of Mackinac over Father’s Day weekend, we recommend these 18 activities for you to enjoy with your dad, grandfather or other father figures in your life!
- Hike the trails at Wilderness State Park, along the Lake Michigan shoreline
- Watch a live demonstration or take a tour at Colonial Michilimackinac
- Tour the Icebreaker Mackinaw
- Kayak under the Mackinac Bridge
- Take in a round of golf at The Mackinaw Club or Cheboygan Golf & Country Club
- Zip Line at Historic Mill Creek or Adrenaline Falls
- Check out the Jack Pine Lumberjack Show
- Have a hot dog at Weinerlicious
- Watch the Laser Light Show at Mackinaw Crossings
- Go for a ride on the Mackinaw Trolley
- Climb to the top McGulpin Point Lighthouse or Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse to view the Straits of Mackinac
- Take to the sky with Mackinaw Parasailing
- Get lost in the Maze of Mirrors
- Visit the Mackinaw Bridge Museum above Mama Mia’s Pizza
- Putt around at Trappers Creek Adventure Golf
- Step back in time at the Mackinaw City Heritage Village
- Build a six-pack of Michigan craft beer at Mackinac Island Brewhouse (inside the Mackinac Bay Trading Company building)
- Star gaze at the award-winning Headlands International Dark Sky Park, just minutes from downtown Mackinaw City.
For more ideas, visit www.MackinawCity.com